Sunday, February 8, 2009

Perpetuum Mobile: Halfway

The sun rises at 6:22 each morning, later sometimes. An old 80-something woman comes out bundled in handwoven scarf, beanie and winter jacket to perform her morning calisthenics. A late middle-aged man joins her. Another middle-aged woman comes about ten minutes later, then another. "来了," says the elderly woman. "来了,来了,I've come, I've come," the others reply. 


The magazine pile in my room is reaching a critical level, and needs to be recycled, but I'm still undecided as to whether or not toss the periodicals. Lots of underlined words and notes are scribbled and would be worth reading again later on. The bookshelves are already crowded. I'd rather be a packrat, but the walking space in my room is shrinking. 

Another two modules left at IUP. I'll be studying at the last level of Chinese designed by the program along with the second classical Chinese course. Looking back, I'm fairly pleased with my progress since I've started studying at this program. I read, speak and write at a decent level of fluency and feel a stronger sense of belonging in this country after every television program, conversation with a friend and bike ride. The occasional grammar mistake is inevitable, and I can only hope with practice I will express myself with more beauty and eloquence. 


share on: facebook

3 Comments:

Steve said...

So I think it's official - you're as good at Chinese as I am at English. Maybe even better, since you can read classical Chinese...

Unknown said...

this is amazing ^^
you're such an inspiration ricky :)

Fern said...

I agree with Steve... I'd like to express myself with more beauty and eloquence in English!! hahaha.

blogger templates 3 columns |